Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS)

"Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare but life-threatening condition caused by bacteria getting into the body and releasing harmful toxins. It's often associated with tampon use in young women, but it can affect anyone of any age – including men and children.

One of Tulipon's attributes is it's antibacterial coating, to prevent, as much as possible, the occurrence of TSS. Since we started working on Tulipon, again and again we heard that TSS is very rare so no one really cares about it. In fact, when searching on the CDC website under the letter "T" you can not find a TSS listing. 

So, we have decided to dedicate this page to all those who have suffered and in some cases died from TSS simply because they used tampons. They were healthy with no background conditions, and only wanted to handle a natural bodily fluid.

Our goal is to collect as many possible names, if you know of more, pls send us to: info@galsbio.com 

The following is dedicated to the memory of all of the women who died, and to the health of those who nearly died  from TSS caused from tampons. And to those who will die and will be sick in the future from TSS caused by tampons. Our heart is filled with grief and sorrow for your pointless and  avoidable pain.   

Lauren_Wasser-32-Edit_920-798.jpg

Lauren Wasser (2012)

Probably the most well known TSS survivor  , LA model Lauren Wasser. Lauren lost both of here legs to TSS only because she used a tampon to handle her bleeding in 2012

SaraManitoski16.jfif

Sara Manitoski  2001-2017

16 years old Sara Manitoski dead during a school trip from TSS caused by a tampon

Ellie.jpg

Ellie Makin (2021)

19 years old Ellie almost died on 24th Nov. 2021 from TSS because she fell asleep with a tampon. The doctor sent her home, saying she only has a flue.

AmyElifrits1989-2010_edited.jpg

Amy Elifritz 1989-2010

Amy from Columbus Indiana died 3 days after using a tampon. here mother said: "Of course I'd heard of toxic shock syndrome, but it never crossed my mind when she started getting sick. I don't think anybody thinks about it, but it's much more common than people know," 

ad_191195974.jpg

Deborah Usher (2011)

Deborah Usher, a 27-year-old mum-of-one from Porthmadog in Wales, was in a coma for a week in 2011 after suffering from Toxic Shock Syndrome – a rare condition caused by tampons.

Although she survived the ordeal, she was left with severe memory loss – meaning she now forgets things just weeks after they happen.

02284100-eb59-11e9-a3eb-a7bef661e37d.webp

Greta Zarate  (2019)

"Mother develops life-threatening toxic shock syndrome from using tampon. Zarate’s body went into septic shock, causing her body’s vital organs to shut down. She had to stay in hospital for 11 days, undergoing a blood transfusion to restore her body’s red blood cells and to stop the infection spreading further through her blood stream." 

0_Jemma-Louise-Roberts-victim-of-TSS_edited.jpg

Jemma-Louise Roberts  2001-2014

13 years old Jemma from Manchester, England, had begun using tampons as a more convenient way to keep training her swimming while on her period.

Peyton Caples.PNG

Peyton Caples (2016)

In 2016 then the 15 year old Payton from California almost died from TSS."I started feeling sick right when I used a tampon – not from having it in longer than you're supposed to," she said. "I started feeling really faint and nauseated"

KY-COMP-TOXIC-SHOCK.webp

Becca Bedford (2015)

"SCHOOLGIRL'S SHOCK I was rushed to hospital with no pulse, blind & dying – a TAMPON caused toxic shock syndrome, we thought it was the flu" Becca was 16 in 2015 when she got TSS from her tampon. 

3D0A379000000578-4211034-image-m-22_1486718710181.jpg

Phoebee Bambury (2017)

Phoebee Bambury a student, 19, who put her severe headache down to 'exam stress' is left fighting for life after a TAMPON gave her a deadly infection

19-year-died-toxic-shock-ht-03-np-191114_720_hpEmbed_1x1_992.jpg

Madalyn Massabni 1998-2017

"I was holding her and she looked at me and closed her eyes ... I was yelling, 'I love you so much. Please don't leave me,'" Massabni said. "She had a heart attack in my arms and stopped breathing." Madalyn died March 30, three days after her 19th birthday.

6834752-6446035-image-a-18_1543574309783.jpg

Kristina Makris (2018)

A make-up artist nearly died when she developed toxic shock syndrome after switching to organic tampons.

Kristina Makris, 33, woke on January 15 with a pounding headache and feeling like she had 'been hit by a truck'.

After being sent home from a walk-in clinic with 'flu', Ms Makris was rushed to Lahey Hospital, Massachusetts, when she started vomiting bile non-stop for ten minutes.

Still on construction come back soon....